Autumn is upon us! As we move away from the uncomfortable heat of summer and into cooler days filled with pumpkin spice lattes and chunky sweaters, we need to make sure our pets are safe and prepared for this seasonal change. Firehouse is here with some tips for you and your pets.
People aren’t the only species seeking shelter and warmth as the nights get colder. So do the mice. As rodents attempt to move indoors, people may place poison outside to decrease local populations. These rat and mouse poisons are highly toxic, and possibly even fatal to our furry family members. Some signs of ingestion to look for are seizures and tremors while other rat poisons can cause bleeding issues (bruising, blood in urine or stool, bleeding from nose or mouth, pale gums). If you do decide to use rat poison, make sure your pet cannot access it.
Mushrooms (not the newly decriminalized kind 😀 ) are widespread during fall and spring. While most wild mushrooms are not toxic, it is difficult to determine which ones are. If you suspect your pet has ingested a mushroom, please call us for guidance and support once we are open and operating. Until then, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Hotline.The ASPCA staffs their hotline with veterinary professionals who can help on the spot.
And while you’re busy finalizing your holiday plans, don’t overlook your pet’s arrangements. Book your pet sitter or make your doggy daycare reservations before it’s too late. Do they have all of their necessary vaccinations and proper parasite control for your boarding or day care facility? Or, if you’re taking your furry friend with you on your travels, make sure you make an appointment for a health certificate so that your pet can get on your domestic flight with fewer issues.
It is commonly said that those of us living in Central Texas are really fortunate to experience all four seasons. Keep your furry friends safe and healthy so they can too!